E. Dannielle Slaughter

Ringling College of Art + Design
Fine Arts- 2010

Monday, September 20, 2010

[Artist Statement]

Content

Starting from the actual and observed and adding non-existent fantastical elements: I combine them creating a non-archival experience with documented evidence. I like to break down my observations and put them in an order that makes since to me. I am looking to discover the responses of others when I show them a playful spectacle of events and the artifacts and documentation of those events.

Throughout working to create a piece many problems arise because of the grand ambitious nature of my overall goal. I have to then make adjustments and consider the conceptual ramifications of those adjustments. I started with wanting my work to be indefinable by medium but have begun to realize that I really just want to combine many traditional mediums into one piece; exploring my concepts in a variety of sensory experiences.

Approach

The way in which I approach my work often comes from humor and play with the tangible. Content is clarified by, and is a result of, collecting information and experimentation with material. Currently I am working to create two specific events that attempt to push the boundaries of possibility and observe the reactions to those pieces. I am very aware of the viewer and curious as to how they respond to what I give them to observe.

Another area I am concentrating on currently is the idea of landscape versus figure. I am used to seeing other artists painting landscapes outdoors but always bring those to an interior space. In reverse, I am painting a large painting of a figure on canvas that is meant to stay out doors. Over all, I am making a game that you can't win, showing the viewer the possibility of entertainment without access to the entertainment and playing with the appreciation of the vulnerable structure of the human body.

No comments:

Post a Comment