E. Dannielle Slaughter

Ringling College of Art + Design
Fine Arts- 2010

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

[ARTIST STATEMENT]

My work is made up of unrestrained realities that attempt to make the incompatible compatible. Asking myself, for example, what physically needs to be altered or kept the same when putting a photograph into a painting or turning a painting into a sculpture. The way in which I approach my work often comes from humor and play with the tangible. Content is clarified by, and is a result of, collecting information and experimentation with material. My body of work is made up of both abstract and recognizable imagery from the world around me. It starts from observation but does not always have recognizable imagery. It is in both styles of work that the process dictates the final piece--- drawing a figure but adding an element of fantasy; Building in a wood shop and then painting the grains of wood. The materials that are available and the environment that I am in play a large role in what I am making. I also fuse together ideas, subject matter and styles along with mediums. I often invent imaginative systems and situations to generate information. Using systems in my process allows me to be inventive in my imagery. From the use of figures to the creation of a space, my work does not follow specific subject matter but does arrive from observation. I often put together multiple mediums into one piece of work. This includes but is not limited to: painting and sculpture, painting and photography, painting and drawing, painting and installation, photography and drawing. Some of the content fused together includes but is not limited to: realism and fantasy, abstract and representational, playful humor and serious undertone, repeating melody and halting frames.
Also, there will be hidden messages in this blog. Look for them, if you find them, follow the clues, answer the riddle, do what you must, but join in the game...

No comments:

Post a Comment